why give to shepherd?

shep12At Shepherd, we realize that your gift is a sacrificial choice, and we thank you for even considering a donation of your time, talent, treasure, and prayers. So why should you give to Shepherd? Here are a few reasons why we believe that your donation will be best used at Shepherd Community Center.

We’re local: We’re not a national organization with a lot of overhead or administrative layers. We’re much more of a grassroots organization, and many of our staff members live in the neighborhoods we’re trying to help, and some of those we’ve helped have become staff members. Our offices are in the same buildings we use to serve our neighbors; and any time we are open, you are welcome to come and see the work for yourself.

We’re accountable: In the first century, the church in Corinth sent a donation to Paul the Apostle. He in turn, sent a letter to instruct and thank them, writing, “We want to avoid any criticism of the way we administer this liberal gift. For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men.” At Shepherd, that’s our approach, too. To that end, we’re a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, and our records are audited every year in order to adhere to the very strict standards of ECFA. That audit is always available upon request.

We’re official: Shepherd Community Center is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization, which simply means that you if you itemize deductions on your federal tax returns, you may be able to include contributions to Shepherd as a deduction.

We’re efficient: A good rule of thumb is that a charity should spend no more than 35% of related contributions on fundraising. In our 2008-09 fiscal year, we spent only 10% on fund-raising. The remaining 90% was used directly for programming and administration.

We’re respected: Several of the largest churches in the Indianapolis area have chosen to partner with Shepherd to break the cycle of poverty. And several other not-for-profits have chosen to work alongside Shepherd. National organizations have studied and advised us, and national media outlets have reported on us. Shepherd is a BBB Accredited Charity, and adheres to all twenty of the BBB’s standards for charity accountability.

Ready to donate? Just click here.

 

Contact us

Shepherd Community Center
4107 East Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46201
Phone: 317.375.0203
Sign up for our mailing list.