Heart of the City Summer Intern Project
Summer Internship opportunities are available to work with elementary, middle school, or high school youth through our Summer Programs, which operates for six weeks in the summer, Monday – Friday from 7:30 am – 3:30 pm (times may vary).
The goal of the Heart of the City Summer Intern Project is to develop young, emerging leaders through a dynamic, hands-on experience in an urban culture. Through this internship, you will:
- Be immersed in ministry with the same group of children and teenagers for 6 weeks.
- Receive professional development as you gain valuable experience in the fields of education, ministry, and the humanities. In addition, we will work with your professors to fulfill any requirements you may have for major-required internships.
- Experience working with different cultures as you begin to understand what it truly means to serve others.
- Be challenged physically, emotionally, and spiritually as you learn more about who you are, who God is, and the direction He is leading you.
- Receive training and participate in weekly discipleship and Bible studies.
- Be provided with housing, materials, and meals.
- Be given a small per diem during the summer to help with incidental expenses.
You will be partnered with other interns to oversee a group of children (max 24 children per group) and will assist Shepherd staff in meeting program objectives and outcomes by:
- Assisting with daily student check-in and check-out procedures
- Preparing and teaching Bible lessons, team-building games, crafts; academic enrichment activities, physical fitness opportunities, and more
- Taking initiative to help with discipline issues
- Participating as a chaperone on field trips, including trips to the swimming pool and local parks and/or museums (or driving Shepherd vehicles, if over 21 years of age)
- Attending daily, 30-minute morning leadership sessions with your site supervisor
- Chaperoning and participating in week-long, off-site summer history trip (high school / middle school interns only)
- Helping teach topics such as resume building, budgeting, interviewing, what it takes to find, get and keep a job, college prep/work ethic, etc. (high school interns only)
- Supervising field trips to college or local businesses (middle school and high school interns only)
- Supervising weekly service projects and/or work opportunities (high school interns only)
- Participating and planning for family nights and community events (such as our annual back to school blast at the end of the summer)
Below is the process for applying to our summer internship program.
Step 1: Internship Application – Apply by clicking here – APPLY EARLY!
Step 2: Reference Letters (We will send forms to the 4 people you indicate in your application)
Step 3: Application reviews by Shepherd
Step 4: Initial Interview
Step 5: Final Interview & Acceptance
There is a $200 ministry internship fee to participate, plus you will be asked to submit 30 support letters. Details will be sent following receipt of application. Interns receive an $80 weekly stipend throughout the summer internship.